I’ll be the first to admit it. I’m not a beach guy. At all.
I don’t like the sand, the non-stop sun that you can never get away from, carrying chairs/coolers/etc. back and forth every day, the mysterious sea creatures…
And while a pescatarian might have a field day down here, being vegan is quite the task.
I come down to the beach for a few reasons, none of which have anything to do with the beach.
- To spend time with friends and (basically) family
- To get away from my routine back at home
True, I’d much rather escape to the mountains, but tonight, the beach had a lot to offer.
I’ve done yoga before. Fairly regularly. And continue to practice it informally.
Long walks on the beach? Who hasn’t?
Moonlight star-gazing? Of course.
But yoga… on the beach… under the moonlight? This was a first.
Give it a shot
I think everyone should try it. Even if you only know 2 yoga poses. Even if for only 10 minutes. It’s 100% worth it.
- Bring a towel. You’ll still get sand on you, but it’s much more comfortable to perform on a towel.
- Music (optional). The wind & the waves might be all you need to put your mind at ease, but I liked having some meditation background music.
- Tune everything out. You’ll likely hear some kids playing, fishermen talking or passersby chatting. Ignore them. Let the rhythmic flow of the waves take over.
Wind & water. Arguably the two things we need most in this world to survive. Lucky for us, they do more than just keep us alive. They make us feel alive.
- Take your time. Have no schedule. Let your mind wander. Come in when you’re ready, and not a second sooner.
- Stare at the stars. At the end, lay on your back & look up at the stars. Don’t think. Just look. And breathe. That’s it.
Sometimes when you do nothing, you feel everything.
So, have you tried moonlight yoga on the beach? Please drop me a line to share your experience, or any tips you have for us rookies.